The telephone was first, then the fax machine, and now social media — a revolutionary mode of communication. People have been able to connect with one another like never before since its inception. Friends and family can connect at any time, and marketers can reach consumers in entirely new ways. In fact, people spend an average of 144 minutes per day on social media. Because of its long-term impact on society, Social Media Day was established on June 30 and has grown in popularity ever since.
World Social Media Day
When is the social media day in 2022?
This year, social Media Day will be celebrated on 30th of June worldwide.
History of social media day
Mashable established World Social Media Day on June 30, 2010. It was created to recognize the impact of SM on global communication and to bring the world together to celebrate it. Everyone uses SM every day; it’s how we quickly and easily connect with people all over the world. Mashable is known for using SM to connect different cultures, movements, and fandoms, which is why they wanted to dedicate a day to it. Every year, people use the hashtag #SMDay, and this year is your chance to join in! Sixdegrees was the first SM platform to be launched in 1997. Andrew Weinreich founded the website, which allowed users to list friends and family members and included features like profiles, bulletin boards, and school affiliations. Sixdegrees had over a million users at its peak before being shut down in 2001.
Friendster was the first modern SM platform, launched in 2002. The website, which allows people to make new friends safely, has over a hundred million users, the majority of whom are from Asia. In 2003, LinkedIn, the first business-focused SM platform, was launched. MySpace debuted in 2004, the same year as Facebook, but it quickly outperformed Mark Zuckerberg’s creation. By 2006, MySpace had become the world’s largest SM platform, with users adoring the personalized profiles that also allowed them to share their music. YouTube launched its video-focused website in 2005, and Twitter followed suit in 2006 with its limited-character platform. As both became more popular, so did Facebook, and the most popular SM platforms for the next five years were established.
Instagram launched in 2010 and experienced rapid growth, gaining over a million users in the first few months. With Instagram challenging their dominance, Facebook paid $1 billion for the platform in 2012. In 2014, Facebook paid $16 billion for the encrypted messaging platform WhatsApp. Snapchat was one platform that Facebook did not acquire. Snapchat, which rose to prominence thanks to its disappearing stories feature, debuted in 2011 and reportedly turned down a $3 billion offer from Facebook in 2013. TikTok is the most recent addition to the list of SM heavyweights. The app was released in 2016 and has quickly grown in popularity due to its extensive music and video editing features.
As SM platforms have grown in popularity, so has the scrutiny that they face. With controversies surrounding their data use, hate speech, impact on mental health, election results, and fake news, platforms are under more pressure than ever to be transparent about what happens behind the scenes. SM has evolved into a means of instant communication, often with friends and family, but also with complete strangers. It has evolved into a major source of news, shopping, business influencers, and general entertainment. Social media day allows us to celebrate the benefits that these platforms have brought into our lives by liking or sharing a photo or two.
Importance of Social Media Day
SM is incredibly entertaining because it allows you to follow the things you care about the most. This is the place to be if you like cat videos or cookies, the inner lives of parents or the day-to-day lives of journalists. Search millions of videos and posts using hashtags to see what users around the world have posted. Alternatively, you can create your own content. Consider SM to be your own show’s production team. Set the recorder to record and enjoy the ride. Moreover, this day is easily accessible. There are no restrictions on who you can connect with on SM. A direct message can be sent to your favorite celebrities, life coaches, or even your managers. This allows you to reach out to anyone and make a connection.
The wonderful thing about SM is that it allows anyone to showcase their talents, voice their opinions, or document their daily activities. Up-and-coming entertainers can show the world what they’re made of without having to go through the Hollywood struggles of trying to get their big break. Users have used platforms such as Vine (RIP), Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to help launch their careers with the click of a button.
There are many benefits of social media as well as disadvantages of SM. Benefits of social media include access to huge audience, increased thinking about productive content, direct connection with world, building a brand, attracting people to your website and many more. Similarly, there are some disadvantages of SM too like, wastage of time, hurting feedback from public, all time on mobile or laptop; skipping other important works etc. But definitely, everything has pros and cons. If SM is used in a moderate way then it is best thing ever happened to us. Choice is ours, how we see things!!
Social Media Day Events
One major tradition observed on Social Media Day is, of course, posting about it on SM. Who would have guessed? Many people share photos or stories about the role SM has played in their lives. Others choose to repost their favorite past uploads, and it is generally an opportunity for people to share some love online. Many websites take advantage of SMDay to compile lists of their favorite SM moments. If you have 20 minutes to spare, it is well worth your time to look through some of these lists and enjoy some of the funniest, most viral SM posts floating around.
Social Media Day Activities
- Keep posting! SM is only as good as the posts it receives, so take advantage of this opportunity to add your voice to the mix! Post a selfie, Tweet something, or go live on Instagram or Facebook.
- Experiment with new platforms. There are numerous SM sites waiting for you to discover them. You could be making TikTok videos, sharing your greatest travel adventures on Instagram, or participating in fun trending topics on Twitter before you know it. Try out some platforms to see if you like them.
- Take it off the internet. SM can bring people together, but it’s even more special when your online friends become your in-person friends. In honor of SMDay, go out in the real world with a friend you usually only talk to on SM! Take a walk, get a drink, or watch a movie. Just remember to take a photo to post on SM afterwards!
Facts about Social Media
- Every minute, over 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube, and the average person watches 40 minutes per day!
- 71% of all adults with Internet access use SM.
- Facebook remains the most popular SM platform.
- To stay connected with their customers, 81% of small and medium-sized businesses use at least one social platform.
- Pizza is the most popular food on Instagram, followed by sushi and steak! Yum.
- The average American social media user logs in for 2.7 hours per day.
- The most liked photo on Instagram is one of an egg, which was uploaded by world record egg in an attempt to break the record for the most liked photo.
- Every day, 500 million tweets are sent, which equates to 6,000 tweets every second.
- How Many People Use Social Media? One of the mind-boggling facts about SM is that there are nearly 3.5 billion active social media users, and a new account is created every 6.4 seconds. Every user has 7.6 SM accounts on average. Every day, they spend approximately 142 minutes on SM.
Social Media Day Dates