Google Chat features allow you to have informal or formal chat sessions with your friends and groups of friends. Google Chat can be done between two people or among a group of people in what Google refers to as a group conversation. Google Room is accomplished through a distinct place.
As per Google, Chat is just a method for two or more people to communicate without any formality, for instance, if you wished to quickly discuss where you were going to join for lunch, you’d start a group discussion with your pals. It’s over when the conversation is finished.
A Room, on the flip side, is designed for more in-depth discussions. Each Room has its own name, may be left and rejoined at any time, sends out notifications, and allows users to share files. It’s even possible to have rooms within rooms. It’s perfect for business projects, party planning, or any other activity in which you want to keep the dialogue continuing for days, weeks, or even months.
If this seems like something you’d be interested in, the first step is to activate Google Chat for your Gmail account. You must do it independently on your browser and on your mobile device for the time being.
How to Activate Google Chat on Browser
Here are the simple and easy to follow steps to learn how to use Google Chat on Browser.
- Go to your Gmail account’s settings page (the gear icon in the upper-right corner)
- Choose “View all settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Chat and Meet” from the top menu.
- You can choose between “Chat,” “Classic Hangouts,” and “Off.” If you want to try Chat, go ahead and do so.
- Chat appears on the left side of your Gmail screen by default, but you may select to have it show on the right side.
- By the way, if you wish to conceal the Meet area in Gmail, “Chat and Meet” allows you to do so.
- Select “Save Changes”
Proceeding to learn how to use Google Chat in Gmail, your Gmail interface will reload, and a pop-up will most likely welcome you to the “new Gmail.” You’ll have a Chat box, a Rooms box, and a Meet box instead of the Meet and Hangouts boxes that used to be on the left-hand side of your Gmail screen. Any contacts with whom you previously had Hangouts talks will display in the new Chat box; click on their names to see those past discussions in a small pop-up window in the lower left.
You may notice some additional minor adjustments following the refresh before we get into the intricacies of how to use Google Chat. To begin, a couple of quote bubbles will substitute the icon that looked like a quote mark at the bottom of your left column, which belonged to Google Hangouts. The old enormous “Compose” button in the upper-left corner will be replaced by a confusingly small pencil icon (for reasons I don’t understand). You can now select to be active, away, or undisturbed by clicking the option to the right of the search box; you can also enter in your own status.
How to Activate Google Chat on Mobile App
Here are the simple and easy to follow steps to learn how to use Google Chat on mobile app.
- In the top-left corner, tap the three-line icon. Select “Settings”.
- Choose a user account.
- Choose “General.”
- Check the box next to “Show the Chat and Rooms tabs” if you’re using an Android phone. Toggle on “Show the chat and rooms tab” if you’re using an iPhone or iPad.
- Note that if you’re using an iPhone or iPad, you’ll have to explicitly close and reopen Gmail to use the Chat feature.
Instead of only Mail and Meet symbols at the bottom of the screen, you’ll now see Chat and Rooms icons.
How to Start Google Chat on the Web
Here, we are going to unveil how does Google Chat works when it comes to how to begin Google Chat on web.
You have two options for starting a new Chat: click the “Find a chat” link in the Chat box, or click the + sign in the corners of the Chat or Rooms boxes. A drop-down option will appear in either case.
If you only want to talk to one individual, type their name in the top field and you’ll be directed to a small chat box. (If you like, you can make it bigger.) Select “Group conversation” if you wish to communicate with more than one person. You’ll then be able to create a list of persons with whom you’d like to chat.
You can also start a room (more on that later), browse existing rooms, and search for message requests from the same menu.
How to Start Google Chat on Mobile App
Learning how to use google chat when it comes to begin Chat on mobile app entails the undermentioned steps:
- Tap the Chat icon in the lower-right corner, then the little “New chat” box.
- You can enter in a person’s name, establish a room, or browse through existing rooms.
- If you wish to start a group conversation (i.e., have a chat with several people), write in the first person’s name (or select their name from the drop-down list), then tap on the group icon that appears in the same box as you’re typing in, and add any further names.
- Those who have been invited to your chat will receive an email with a link and the opportunity to join or block the conversation; if they are using Hangouts or Chat, they will receive a notification.
- To add a new message, enter into the field at the bottom of the screen, whether you’re using the web or a mobile app. You can add emoji, upload a file, attach a file from Google Drive, start a video meeting (basically, launch Google Meet) and plan an event using a series of icons to the side or below the entry area.
How to Create a Room
By now you’ve got insights regarding how to use Google Chat; let’s proceed and learn how to create a Room.
- On the web, click the + sign next to the Chat or Room boxes on the left side of Gmail. Tap the Rooms icon in the mobile app.
- Choose “Create room” from the drop-down menu.
- Make a room name and invite the people you’d want to join. (You may just type in their email address if they aren’t in your contact list.) Select “Create” from the drop-down menu. You’ll be escorted to a new room.
- Those who have been invited will receive an email with a link. When they click the link, they will be taken to the new room, where they can either join or block it. (If they haven’t joined Chat yet, Hangouts will send them notifications.)
- Type into the area at the bottom of the screen to add a new message. A set of icons on the right of the field, similar to Chat, allow you to add emoji, upload a file, add a file from Google Drive, start a video meeting (basically Google Meet), and plan an event.